Tuesday, August 12, 2008

And now for something dark and silky...

It's out! It's out!

What, you may ask?

Why of course, Alt Fiber: 25 Projects for Knitting Green with Bamboo, Soy, Hemp, and More, Shannon Okey's newest knitting opus, which includes a stole design by yours truly!


And what is the stole like, do you say?

Well, as a matter of fact, it is a not-completely-rectangular type of stole, which in this case means that it includes the lovely little back panel treatment that I have been exploring lately in all my designs. Here is the schematic that I submitted to the book folks in the beginning (in case you are at all interested):

I have found that adding a little shaping to the back of a shawl or stole helps tremendously in the ability of the garment to feel comfortable and stay on the shoulders.

This particular design felt like a real departure from "the norm" and I walked on eggshells until I saw that it was indeed going to work out, quite well indeed as a matter of fact. Wearing this stole (which is really more of a wrap) is a lovely experience, and the long side panels look and feel like wings. Really nice to wrap and wrap and wrap around yourself.

The yarn is sea silk in the Midnight colorway. A sensuous experience in itself.

Here are a couple of (rather bad) pictures of the final product:



I really can't wait for the official book pictures to come out so I can salvage some self esteem and look good again, in print anyways...

From the Book Summary:

Twenty-five projects to knit and crochet using environmentally friendly plant fibers from a popular craft author, teacher, blogger, and shop owner.

Although DIYers have been using salvaged materials for years, the fastest growing trend in knitting and crochet takes reduce-reuse-recycle to a whole new level. In ALT FIBER, craft author and teacher Shannon Okey presents 25 patterns for sweaters, wraps, socks, hats, pillows, bags, and more using non-allergenic plant fibers. From the seaweed-derived Seacell yarn, which transmits vitamins and nutrients to the skin when worn, to soy-based yarns made from tofu manufacturing waste, alternative fibers are readily available, easy to care for, and good for the environment. And because these fibers work up, drape, and wear like no other yarns, Okey teaches crafters of all skill levels about each fiber's properties, how to incorporate them into existing patterns, and how to hand-dye them. Knitting green has never been so easy.
I haven't actually seen the book myself yet, but I have high hopes that the book truly delivers what it promises to. Please drop me a line and let me know what you think!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

How could you have possibly thought it wouldn't work out? That shawl is AMAZING!

Robin said...

The shawl looks so nice! I love the shape and can't wait to see the book.

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous, Sivia. Something I'd definitely consider knitting....... another project on the list. :-)

Cathi said...

What an excellent idea! And how wonderful it must feel to wear in Seasilk! Beautiful stole.

Anonymous said...

Wow...

I've just added another project to my list, and will order the book.

You continue to amaze me with your talent.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful stole, love the shaping, it's a fabulous idea and seasilk is a dream to wear and work with. Another book to add to my christmas list.

Being an aspiring designer myself, I'd love to know what program you use to work up your pattern schematics, I'm stuggling with that portion at the moment.

Unknown said...

Hi Robin,

It was done in Adobe Illustrator, which I highly recommend for doing schematics and charts! All the best to you in your designing...

Melanie said...

That's lovely, and what a neat construction!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sivia,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

All the best,

Robin

Anonymous said...

Very sensible design. This is what I look for in choosing a shawl or wrap. I think it will be a hit.

Anonymous said...

I love it! May I ask what the difference is between a stole and a wrap? Is a wrap wider?

TIA!

Charli
charlizeen on yahoooo

Unknown said...

Interesting question, Charli! I *think* a stole is a long rectangular lace garment and a wrap is more of well.. a wrap, to be worn as a cover-up. But I have never seen a real definition of the terms...

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous! I love the different shape of it--it's why I chose the Waves in the Square, too. I'd definitely knit this. I see some other designers from Alt Knit have put up their projects in Ravelry already--any chance you'll be putting it there so I can queue it?

Thanks for all you do!

--alwayserin

Cathy said...

How beautiful! And how fortuitous that this new pattern comes along just as I'm finishing Waves in the Square...

FiberRachel said...

Well, I have the book and can't wait to start, a beautiful project and I have found I already have perfect yarn for it!!
One thing that is a disappointment is that they don't show the back and the special panel in pictures in the book. People just going by the book won't know what hit them and what all the pattern bits are for.