Friday, July 16, 2010

Tallulah on my Mind

The place: Tallulah Falls, Georgia.

Balmy southern nights, steamy days. Welcome to the Albert-Evans family reunion.. the first within memory. It is quite something to see cousins, aunts, uncles and others that last seen, were kids like me, and are now going gray, like me. It was a bit surreal but wonderful to see everyone again. Unfortunately, no pics were taken of the event itself.. I forgot my camera. But I do have a remembrance sock.. Tallulah.





These short but very sweet toe-up socks begin with my newly favorite round toe and feature a beaded openwork rib, a sculpturally fitted back, and just a hint of beaded ruffle at the top. The first sock was improvised and finished on the plane trip home. The first pair is a gift for my mother and her pair contain no beads, but my pair (yet to come) has to have them! I am hoping that the beads, inset into the openwork rib pattern in the front and around the top rim of the sock, will give an impression of sparkling water drops that catch the light now and then.. a lovely effect.

I am also including instructions for working heel stitch over the toe-up heel turn, and making length adjustments based on the individual knitter's row gauge.

See Tallulah's emergence here.. soon!

10 comments:

Cat Bordhi said...

They are beautiful! And I love the name, and how they arose. I would put them in that category of classsic, beautiful socks that were always meant to see the light of day and that took an exquisite designer's eye and heart, like yours, to bring them into being.

Marisol said...

Lovely. I think I will go test knit now:)

Mike said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!
We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."
It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your interview.
Best regards,
Mike Thomas

LoriAngela said...

Round toe and sculpted heel? Is there a chance I can knit socks to fit?
We had a bit of a family reunion at a nephew's wedding on the Island and my great nephew is getting so big. He's just a sweet as at the retreat. Looking forward to the pattern.

Holli Yeoh said...

I love the juxtaposition of the sculptural back with the openwork on the front of your sock. I'm looking forward to seeing the beaded version.

Lucy Anne said...

I saw these socks on Friday and found them beautiful. Did not realize they were based on Tallulah Falls. That is place that is deep in my soul. Now I must make them.

Maureen said...

They look beautiful! I'm anxiously awaiting the pattern release :)

Linda Watson Mickelberry said...

Lovely! Must...knit...beautiful...socks!!!

Yael said...

I just stumbled on your blog by chance and I wish to tell you that your socks are very beautiful! Wow, I wish I would know how to knit socks!
But I have a question: Did they let you board the plane with knitting needles????

sivia said...

Hi Yael,

Yes, I did get on the plane with knitting needles. It was a domestic US flight, on Delta airlines. However, knitting needles are on the permitted list now. You can find out more on the TSA website. I can't promise the same for international flights but I have had good luck myself.